Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: restoring 78 RM400c
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:50 pm 

Hi a newbie here. But this looked like this could be the place to get help from .
Just picked up a 78 RM 400 at AMA vintage days and try to restore it to near original riding condition. Grew up in my teen yrs on a TM 250 and later in the early 90s had a 79 RM 400. I am surprised at that I could find parts for it but not having any luck find over sized piston for it . Able to find .20 and .25 over but I need at least .40 . is there anyplace that will make a piston out there for this bike . Wiseco doesn't even have it list in the order page but I was surprised that they did have older pistons for other bikes . Either need a new piston or have cylinder re sleeved to original size . Piston in it now is marked 50 which is from what I been told a Suzuki factory 1 size over . I am able to find .50 and 1.5 Suzuki made pistons online but was told they never made any bigger ones . Wiseco used to make them but here they are now obsolete . anybody with info out there that could help me please.