Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pistons for an RM400??
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:59 pm 

Hi guys I'm trying to find a piston that fits my '79 RM400. It has a 0.05mm oversize in it now and the bore is flogged out. Suzuki don't go any bigger and Wiseco stopped making them long ago, so what is the alternative? I have heard the Maco 440 piston will work but its 81.8mm which is the last oversize. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:20 pm 
Site Admin

This might help you out. Contact this guy and see if this is in any better shape than your cylinder, plus you'd get lots of spare engine parts. He doesn't list the year.

Wednesday, 29 March 2006

FOR SALE: Early Suzuki RM 400 motor and trans for parts.Not sure of condition. Has no piston.Head and cooling fins look great. mailto:danieljanetlindley@sbcglobal.net USA Ca.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:40 pm 

Thanks for that I'll give it a shot.

Post subject: Still looking
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:12 pm 

:( I am looking for a piston/ring to fit my rm400n at .25 over you can still buy the pistons from Suzuki but not the ring.

Post subject: rm 400 pistons
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:28 am 

You can get them from Rick Horvat????? He has adds in the back of Vintage Views.

A Maico 440 piston can be used. You just bore out the stock cylinder. Yes, there is enough room!!!!!!

I have heard different opions as to the wether or not you have to put shims on the crank/rod. As you know, the RM rod has a lot of side to side rod clearance. The maico 440 had a normal rod clearance and the piston/rod clearance had a lot of play. I rode a bike with the 440 piston but did not build it. Good luck

510 rider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:52 pm 

:? Does anyone have a contact or web address for the above as I am in New Zealand Thanks

Post subject: RM 400 pistons
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:46 pm 

Try this number. 1-330-995-0245 Rick Horvatt. I think this is right and he used to sell these pistons. He has a lot of vintage stuff for sale.

510 rider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:15 am 

This is my first post here and it is not my intention to bash anyone, but I just 'gotta warn you guys: Be very careful dealing with Rick Horvat, I've dealt with him twice, was charged a premium price, and both times I received unuseable junk parts that he described as being near mint. I'm not the only one either - I've talked to MANY others that have had similar bad experiences dealing with him. 'Nuff said. Matt