Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's it worth?
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:14 pm 

So, I have this friend.......................

He is the original owner of a low hour 1981 KX125 (original bore) that looks and runs pretty nice. Since this is the last year of the drum brake Kawasakis it is AHRMA legal. The thing is that I don't believe I have seen one of these being sold locally or on ebay in the last decade. I'm sure Mark Hildebrande has something to say on the subject......anyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:00 pm 

I like Kawasakis, I have 3 or 4 of them. They are fun to ride and durable but don't seem to have much value beyond that.

That being said: For any running bike I think about $400 is a good rule of thumb minimum to offer. Maybe you could get a bike for $200 but I don't like hard feelings that come from a low ball bid. This is more of an esoteric thing then practical. Any good running dirt bike that has been properly maintained is worth $400 of fun to me no matter what the market value of the bike may be.

High side would be about $800 if there is nothing wrong with the bike. Just add gas, no major dents or bends where there shouldn't be any, and tires that are still usable.

Rick