Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kx kickstarts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 pm 

i have two kx,s one is a 125 the other is 250 and both kickstarts constantly fail to engage any tips or advice on how to repair them thanks

Post subject: Re: kx kickstarts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:02 pm 

I did this the first time ever back in 1987 whith my Kwaker the night before a race because I just didn't have any other options.

The kicker uses a ratchet system that's suppossed to catch when you kick, and slip in the reverse direction. This ratchet gear uses teeth on two facing gears that interlock when turned in one direction, but slip in the other direction.

This engagement problem happens when those ratchet teeth wear. When the engagement side of those teeth wear, the teeth fail to engage each other, causing the ratchet to slip in both the kick and return directions.

In order to catch properly in the kick direction, those ratchet gears either need to be replaced with new ones, or (at midnight the night before an event) they can be recut so that the faces of those teeth are squared up and once again engage well enough to hold the kicking force.

A Dremel tool with a little cutting wheel is the ideal bench-top tool for doing this. Very lightly grind back the worn edges of each gear so that the contact faces of the gears are once again straight up and down. Do this evenly with each tooth of each gear and it work as well as new. Go crazy and grind it to the bone and you'll need to go buy a new set - if you can find them.

Have fun,
Jon