Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Do you think my attempt at keeping a vintage bike on the road is a waste of time or is it admirable?
Quite admirable..keep it up 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sounds good...but don't waste too much of your time 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Waste of time.period 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Waste of time( but hey I'll take that off your hands and part it out for a ton of money since I don't care about the history of bikes :-p ) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: 78/79 KL250 questions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:44 pm 

Hello all. If this post is supposed to be in the " other" models my apologies. I traded a toy of mine for a 78/79 Kawasaki KL 250 dirtbike that looks like it was hidden in a time capsule for many years with just 2,000 miles on it. His story was that it was a family members and when the original owner died he was given the bike , without a title and said " it had electrical issues" since the 1980's and the original owner/family member just put it in dry storage and left it until he passed. The current guy said he was done messing with it, pulser coil and other various overpriced issues that he didn't want to del with. After verifying with the police department it wasn't stolen I took the trade... I felt that this bike shouldn't be parted out like many of the other clean KL's I've seen on eBay. It needed to be resurrected and enjoyed. Well, that took me 5 mins to find the coil wire bullet connector appeared to be connected but was just held in place by the rubber cover.. It runs like brand new and after a carb clean and replacing the carb gaskets I want to legally ride it on the street. Unfortunately my state says no title no street riding. I'm searching for a titled chassis now to swap over everything, or almost everything but mainly making sure the motor and suspension will fit. I've been searching and found that the KZ250 and a KLX 250 runs the same motor. My question is: does anyone have chassis knowledge that could verify if everything else would swap over with minor modification? It appears the KZ has the traditional drop down cruiser frame so I'd have to find a welder to swap rear frames. Don't know if I want to go through that but that's an option. As for other dual sport/dirt chassis it appears the KLX 250 is spot on with a few exceptions like the rear grab portion of the frame. Can anyone chime in on this? I'm trying hard( maybe too hard) to keep a vintage bike alive and on the road for many years to come... Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 4153 times ]