Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:24 pm 

Hi, I bought a '78 Kawasaki KE 125 and gave it to my cousin who knows a lot more about dirt bikes than I do. I gave it to him as a project and brought it back still as a project. it turns out that something in the crank case trashed the piston and I need to take the entire engine apart, find out what the problem is, fix it, then put the engine back together. one problem, I don't know where to start. So, my question is where do I start when it comes to taking the engine apart?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:01 am 

first get it off the bike, then pull the head, then pull the cylinder ... you should not really have to go any farther than that, unless the rod bearings are bad ... unlike the 4 strokes, the 2 strokes have no connection from cylinder to transmission on the inside ... the 2 stroke needs to pull fuel and oil under the piston as it goes up, then as it goes down the fuel/oil passes the piston from the pressure in the bottom of the case ... if the piston/rings/cylinder are trashed, the most common cause is that the rings were used past their lifespan, causing them to be able to leave the groves in the piston and often fold over or brake off ... the first time i saw this was on a yamaha blaster ... when the ring came out it cocked the piston in wrong and broke the skirt ... when the rod came back around to the bottom it knocked the broken skirt right through the bottom of the crank case