Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1980 Maico MC250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:38 am 

I have a chance to buy a 1980 MC 250 for $500. Seller says it runs but the shifter shaft is somewhat loose. I only have a couple of pics of it and have not seen it yet. I heard the 80's did not have reed valves yet. Is that a major concern or is it more of a race performance issue? It's probabl;y worth the price just in parts, but is it a can of worms to try to restore? Any opinions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Attachments:
80Maico.jpg
80Maico.jpg [ 8.81 KiB | Viewed 5726 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1980 Maico MC250
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:31 am 

Jacks_mx wrote:
I have a chance to buy a 1980 MC 250 for $500. Seller says it runs but the shifter shaft is somewhat loose. I only have a couple of pics of it and have not seen it yet. I heard the 80's did not have reed valves yet. Is that a major concern or is it more of a race performance issue? It's probabl;y worth the price just in parts, but is it a can of worms to try to restore? Any opinions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack:

For that price I would jump on it! While the 80 model is some what funky, they are fun to ride. the shift shaft can be replace in under an hour & you can buy new shifter for about $40

The 250 Maico isn't the fastest thing on the track,but they do handle well & can be made to run.

Give me a day or so & I'll let you know what a shift shaft costs, As I just broke mine on my 490.

BTW:

Maico went to the reed valve in 81' on the 250 & 83 on the big bores.