Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1983 maico 490
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 6:28 pm 

Hey folks, I'm finally getting started on my 490 project and I have a couple of questions 1: What is the carb of choice for the spider? I have a 38mm bing and have heard the mikuni is the hot set-up but also hear the bing does not usually need rejetting from track to track. 2. piston choice? mahle or wiseco. Hey any and all replies are helpful, this is my first non-japanese dirtbike. Thanks Greg Rose 43c :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:09 am 

The Bing is probably a 40mm if it came with the bike. Bings will give you the most top end while the Mikuni will provide more tunability and cleaner bottom end. As far as pistons, you have 3 choices. Mahle $$$, Wiseco, and Woesner. All are available from Maico Only. The Woesner is a great piston and I would recommend it. Maico purists love the Mahles and they last forever.

If I were you, I would call Eric Cook at Maico Only and tell him what you are trying to do. He is hard to get on the phone, but keep trying. The info is worth the wait.

Post subject: Good one
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:14 pm 

Quote:
Hey folks, I'm finally getting started on my 490 project and I have a couple of questions 1: What is the carb of choice for the spider? I have a 38mm bing and have heard the mikuni is the hot set-up but also hear the bing does not usually need rejetting from track to track. 2. piston choice? mahle or wiseco. Hey any and all replies are helpful, this is my first non-japanese dirtbike. Thanks Greg Rose 43c

This is acctually a good idea, but I cant go along with it.. I'll PM you with my idea. ;)