Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1992 rm 125
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:23 pm 

Hi I've got an 1992 rm 125, it would struggle to start then when it did would only run for about 10 mins then would chuck the water out the rads. So I thought stuff it, I'll pull it apart and have a look. So I got myself a manual an set to it. Got the head off and noticed that the barrel has scores in it! It seems as though the circlip has come out of the gudgen and let it rub up and down the barrel. Basically would this cause it to pressurise? Also dumped the oil out and it was silvery so straight away went to change the waterpump oil seal. Is it worth changing the bearing as well? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 5046 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1992 rm 125
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:19 pm 

That groove is probably damaged it enough the compression is to low to run. You will need a cylinder or have that one re sleeved.

Post subject: Re: 1992 rm 125
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:08 am 

Can you feel the grooves with your fingernail? If yes, you need re-boring the cylinder and a new piston.
Plus, the color of the oil is caused by the fact that some water got into your oil.
If you didnt run your bike in a river in the last days, (...) you got anti-freeze into your oil, caused by a bad head gasket/seal and/or a bad crankcase gasket. Also, i would check the condition of the water pump and its bearing. You need a complete restoration of your engine, i just posted a new thread on a restoration of my 1992 rm 250. It works just the same. Im gonna post videos of the complete restoration of the engine including the transmission ( its already appart, just need to take it back together). Hopefully, clear enough so people can understand how to do it themself.