Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:41 pm 

I've restored an MT250 it'd be a short list of parts that haven't been replaced, engine rebuild, everything. I've gotten tags and ridden it a couple hundred miles out in the boon docks in rural Ohio, and for awhile it screamed. But it started acting up after it was fully warmed, (didn't want to idle, would break up at low rpms...but it would run beautifully in the mid and high rpms even after it was warmed up). So I played with the jetting, etc...it wasn't the problem. Finally, when I last started the bitch, after it warmed up it just quit. I got it to fire up for a couple moments thereafter but wouldn't keep running and backfired and bucked. Now it won't start at all. Unplugged the blk/wht wire coming out of the stator and tested the voltage while kicking it. I kept seeing zero on the meter as I worked my way down the voltage settings until I reached mv and oh boy, 43.0 mv. I assume the stator is smoked???????

Opinions, questions please?

Al

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:32 pm 

Sounds just like a bad condenser. Have not had trouble on a bike yet but have had problems on boats. Seems since not many vehicles,if any at all, don't use them, quality has suffered.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:37 am 

Confirmed...Bad Stator.