Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:24 pm 

Hi, I am hoping you guys can help me out. I recently acquired a 77 GS250 its all almost back together. But when I got the bike it had its problems. 1 The motor was shot. I was able to install a 76 which has a little bit of a different ignition magnet but it fit like a glove. The bike came with a Bosch part but looking it up on line it does not appear to be the coil. It is almost a rectangle but on one end it becomes extended into a circle. Underneath the rectangle there are 5 or 6 flat terminals I will call them where you could hook in terminal wires. But there is no COIL as I would find online. Also since the 76 motor I recieved did not have any leed wires I need to know what from the ignition magent gets hooked up? I stripped the wire off the original 77 bike I assume the Red goes to the lead of the point and the white to the ground wire of this? Does anyone know? Then I dont know where the terminals plugin into the bosch component I have? And then if I need the coil, or where the coil hooks up. I am confused all around since the Barrell head of the motor has 2 plugs but the ignition coil seems to only have 1 plug. I assume that the unit I have gets terminals feed from the coil and the circular part feeds the second plug. If anyone can either supply input, a drawing, or pictures, it would be greatly appreciated.
Many Many Many Thanks....
C.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 am 

The GS models were enduro bikes. During those years they came with Bosch ignition systems. The stator on the engine had extra coils for the lights and an external flywheel. I can't remember for sure but there were like 5 or 6 wires coming out of the stator and going to a plug in the coil under the tank. Wires from here went to various components, lights,horn, etc. If the engine you put in the frame is a motorcross engine, it probably can with an internal flywheel type stator. If so, you it is more than likely a Motoplat ignition and you will have to use a Motoplat coil with it. Most people run an extra plug in the second hole in case they foul the main one. There should be a hole in the back of the cylinder for a compression release. If not you could put one in the extra hole. I did see a wiring diagram on the net, but will have to see if I can find it. Hope this helps. Stacy