Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm 

Hey guys,

Just a quick intro...

My name is Pete Murray. I live in Phoenix, AZ and have been scouring the internet for web boards dedicated to vintage motorcycles with the intent of spreading the word about the Southwest Vintage Cup and vintage racing with Road Race Southwest. I can see that this is a dirt bike forum but I'm hoping that some of you, like me, do both dirt and pavement (I love my first gen water-cooled RM-250).

The Cup, or S.V.C., started as the Classic Superbike and Vintage GP Sprints in December 2006. It lives on today as a five race series for vintage motorcycles where riders and their teams from Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas battle for the title of "Fastest Vintage Road-racer in the Southwest". Here old CB-350s do battle with KH-250s; XS-650s stuff it up the inside of GS-550s; GT-750s take on Z1's, and occasionally a TZ-750 catches a dual cam CB-900F going down the straight toward one. So if you have one of these brutal machines, or any from their glorious era, or if you just miss the smell of pre-mix, come join us for the fifth annual Southwest Vintage Cup.

The current rules split machines into two categories, and three classes. The categories are Historic Vintage (HV) with a production cut-off date of 1978 and Super Vintage (SV) with a production cut-off date of 1983. The classes are Lightweight (L), Middleweight (M), and Heavyweight (H). All Super Vintage classes are run as a Combined (C) class at this time. Factory race bikes (ie TZ250 Yamahas etc) are automatically bumped up one class from where they would normally fit based upon displacement and number of cylinders. So, for example, TZ250 Yamahas that would otherwise qualify for Historic Vintage based upon year of construction, wheel and brake sizes etc, would not be allowed in HV-L (two stroke twins up to 250cc), but must bump up one class to HV-M.

2011 SOUTHWEST VINTAGE CUP SCHEDULE:
    Feb 26-27 Firebird Int. Raceway, Main Track Chandler,AZ C.C.S. Southwest

June 11-12 Arroyo Seco Raceway Deming, NM A.S.M.A.

July 31 Sandia Motor Spdwy Albuquerque, NM S.M.R.I.

Aug 28 Sandia Motor Spdwy Albuquerque, NM S.M.R.I.

Nov 5-6 Firebird Int Raceway, East Track Chandler,AZ C.C.S. Southwest

For more information and specific rules:

p