Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoring 1979 CR125
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:18 am 
Greetings,

I am starting the restoration of a 1979 CR125 that I rode for about 5 years, and stored for the past 4 years or so. It has most, if not all the original parts there and I have an extra parts bike.

First of all, I can't decide whether to make this an accurate restoration, or just use all the replica parts I can find and have a really great looking and riding (albeit not original) bike. Where do most of you guys find restoration/NOS parts?

Is there any way to restore plastic that has become oxidized? I would like to keep the original pieces, but could also buy new replicas. The tank has a couple dents... would it be advisable to fill these and re-paint? Better to buy a replica plastic tank?

Basically, it all boils down to which road to take with the restoration. Would it be worth a lot less in the future (not that I'll ever sell it) with all the aftermarket parts? Finally, if I have to replace a number of parts with replicas, would it even matter if the rest of the bike was original?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Pat-

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:22 pm 

Hi Pat,

I would advise that you go the direction in which "YOU" will get the most satisfaction from. The '79 CR125RZ is my favorite bike by far, I have restored both types (stock and loaded), and I love the looks of both. The are advantages and disadvantages in both types of restorations. A stock bike can be restored/built quicker and with less money (unless your looking to build one out of NOS parts...then it will probably take forever and a bunch of cash), but a stock '79 CR125 will be troublesome on the track, and costly if you crash or break it. The trick CR will take longer to build (because of finding the correct parts) and will be more expensive (the Fox Forx and shox's fit on the very popular '78-'80 CR250R's and (forks) on the '80 CR125R....so you can expect to pay those prices for them). However, with the trick CR, it will "work" on the track and turn more heads when pulling up for gas with it in the back of your truck then a stock CR.

For finding parts, your are at the right place....computers are tools, use them as such and they will make you a lot more productive. Find your parts on ebay, swap pages like Nathan's and communicating with other enthusiast just as you are doing.

Restoring plastic is not easy (at least for me....), everyone has their own method, just as I have mine. I find it difficult to explain and give people an idea of what to expect without details and photos. I'm currently trying to get all the info for process' like these (and many others) sorted out and ready to post on Mugencross; so that people like yourself will have a place to get such instructions. Unfortunately, there are not many free hours in my day and I can't currently spend the time needed on it...hopefully soon.

Good luck with whichever road you chose...

Take care,
Robert

Post subject: Repainting Plastic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:28 am 

Here is a site I have found detailing the process for painting plastic tanks. Sorry abouth the CanAm reference on this board. http://www.motocross.com/vintage/canam/canam35.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:37 am 

hello pat,

are you going to ride the snot out of it or do you enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done? my suggestion is to choose what you want and work from there - i'm currently in the middle of a 2 stage mt250/cr250 mutt - 1st stage, complete the mechanicals this spring and ride it through out the summer - 2nd stage, cosmetics (if the bike performs as hoped), this way i won't spend my money on making a beauty out of a dead sled - el gueche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:33 am 

Pat,

I bought my 79 CR125 already restored (Stock + Fox Air Shox). I have gathered almost all of the Hop-Up parts I plan to install by the end of the year. I'm going to just enjoy the bike this Spring and Summer and then install the parts so that I can see the difference they make. You just need to really use as many internet resources as possible and don't discount using ads in local papers or trying salvage yards.

Learn as much as you can before you begin (reasearch, research, research), it will save you time and wasted money. Manuals and the proper tools will count a lot towards getting things done correctly the first time and holding down your frustration level. Enjoy and have fun!

J

#829 The "Factory Novice"

1988 Honda CR250RJ
1983 Honda CR480
1981 Can-Am 250 MX6-B
1979 Honda CR250RZ
1979 Kawasaki KX250 A5
1978 Husky 250CR
1978 Honda CR250R
1977 Yamaha YZ400D
1977 Suzuki RM125B