Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bike
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:24 pm 
Did you get the flywheel off?????

What did you find???

My bike with the broken kew way would backfire or try to start after a number of kicks too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:40 am 

No I have not had a chance to yet. IF I don't get some of the honeydo's done my wife is going to set my bike on fire :cry: . I will work on it some this afternoon. I did get the flywheel cover off. It appears to be in good shape and what I can see of the stator behind it looks good as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:28 am 

Here is more food for thought. IF and that is a big IF I cannot get this engine running, what are the odds a MT125 engine will fit this frame? I know I will have to change the coil and everything with it, but will it bolt onto this frame. IF not what engine will? The frame and allthe components are in great shape. it even has new tires, I just think it would be more cost effective to buy a running engine befroe I spend a ton of money on this one. It would also give me time to rebuild the 175 engine back to showroom new.

Post subject: Won't start
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:42 pm 
Scott,
From reading all your posts I am about 100% positive that it is the float needle and seat. The cost for the carb kit is about $20 including shipping. I have posted the site to purchase in a previous post. I like your self tried everything else first and upon rebuilding the carb the bike was like new. An engine needs 3 things to run spark, fuel&air and compression. You have stated the you have spark. Regardless of the color it will start, if you have the proper amount of fuel. You have stated that it is getting fuel, but it appears like to much. You can't oil foul a plug without it running. If it is wet, your are gas fouling it with too much fuel. Too much fuel is putting out your spark. It could be that your air filter is clogged, also but I doubt it . You said that fuel was pouring into the airbox or somthing like that. That for sure is a float problem. According to you posts you have compression. Save time and marriage change your needle and seat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:24 pm 

I plan on it John. I went to the link you posted and found the carb kit. I will be ordering it soon. I am going to do nothing else until the carb kit is in because I believe in my heart that is the root of the problem. What happens is when you first turn on the gas at the tank it fill the carb and then pours out the overflow tube. The problem lies with the fact that I have fallen in love with old bike and really wnat to see it run agian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:25 pm 

Scott,

When you wake up at night and go in the garage to visit it like I do, then you'll know you are in love. :lol:

J

#829 The "Factory Novice"

1988 Honda CR250RJ
1983 Honda CR480
1981 Can-Am 250 MX6-B
1979 Honda CR250RZ
1979 Kawasaki KX250 A5
1978 Husky 250CR
1978 Honda CR250R
1977 Yamaha YZ400D
1977 Suzuki RM125B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:26 pm 

I don't have a garage. I end up in the driveway at 2 in the morning in my underware promising her that I will take good care of her, and that I will always take good care of her. When in all honsety, I just want a good fast ride. It's like I am 16 all over again :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:43 pm 

Amen to that. I had to put 50 miles of good street and better trail riding on today just to get me through motherÌs day and I still don't know if I'll make it. I'll be JonesinÌ by noon if the sun's out. ItÌs as good as the day I got it!