Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:53 am 
I need some serious advice please. I bought a rebuilt 78 cr125 and have never gotten it to run properly. It starts easy, idles fine, and run well at high rpms. The problem is--It won't make the transition from low rpms to midrange. It really bogs and shoots gas into the airbox.The carb is stock and I've made all adjustments I can think of.....tried different size main jets, tried a leaner slide, tried all positions with the clip on the needle. Nothing I do makes any difference with it bogging. I live in the Myrtle Beach area, so I don't think altitude is an issue. I've even split the cases to see if i had a bad seal (there wasn't) and replaced all gaskets and oil seals. The only thing I can think of is maybe the CDI or stator could be faulty. Is this a possible source of the problem? The pilot jet is stock and wouldn't think would need changing. I've got several hundred $ in this thing and still can't ride it yet! Can someone out there PLEASE HELP ME! Thanks, Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:55 am 
Just a thought, does it have reeds?
Could be the CDI or stator. I fought a KTM doing this type of thing and the pickup (stator?) finally let go 100%. Not fixed yet so I don't know if that was the original problem. See if you can borrow a couple pieces...
Oh, check the plug cap too. Maybe....?

Post subject: '78 CR125M boggs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:54 pm 

Hi Doug,

Sounds like your float height is set incorrectly and/or a bad needle and seat. Timing could be an issue as well, the failure of electronics on these bikes will usually result in making the bike difficult to start and/or performance at high RPM's or under heavy loads.

Good luck,
Robert

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:56 pm 

Sorry to add to the list, but if gas is being kicked back into the carb, check the reeds out too...cracks, closing all the way etc.

Post subject: No Reeds...?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:49 pm 

Doug,

The Ì78 CR125Ìs didnÌt have reed valve cylinders unless they were Mugen kitted (or had some other type of aftermarket reed setup)÷the Ì79 CR125RZ was the first production CR125 with a reed valve cylinder.

Take care,
Robert

Post subject: CR bogging
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:16 pm 

I just got another 83' CR125 to fix up and it was bogging/hesitating like crazy. I finally tracked it down to a bad stator coil. Luckily i have another 83' to swap parts with, but i still had to go thru trial and error to find it. I started by swapping the carb, then the reed valve, then the coil, then the cdi, and finally the stator is what did the trick. After i tested it with an ohmeter it was about 30 ohms off from the good one.

Bob