Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1979 CR125 Fork Oil
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:56 pm 
Greetings,

Another fork oil question! I have searched the archives, but can't find anything about how much oil to put in the forks of a 79 CR125 on a complete rebuild. The clymer manual only specifies for re-filling, and for a rebuild it says that factory data isn't available.

I had asked some questions a few weeks back about my bike... it's back from powder coat and I got a shade that's VERY close to original.. new fenders, rebuilt engine, new cables etc... I did a nice rebuild that looks good, but is made to RIDE, as opposed sitting in my garage looking pretty. Thanks everyone for not letting me go overboard and do a complete restoration :)

-Pat-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Pat,

If you can't find the figures for a complete overhaul, you can always put a small amount in the forks and bounce up and down on them. Then drain all the oil and then use the refill figures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:44 am 
I should have thought of that.....!

Thanks,
-Pat-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:17 pm 

The volumes for the 1979 CR250R 39mm stock forks are 205cc and 275cc respectively or a ratio of 1.34. You could apply that ratio to your refill figure as a guestimate. If you have a tool to set fork oil level you could then adjust the height to suit once the forks are back on the bike.