Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:36 am 

Hello everyone! I'm new here,but sounds like I've found a site with some insight I can use! I have an upcoming project. My late Brother left me his 1976 Honda CR250 Elsinore, and it has been sitting for around 30 yrs. It was overhauled by the people we bought it from and judging from his appearance with his arm in a cast and sling, we kinda knew why he was selling it! We could'nt get it to fire when we got it home and Thank God we did'nt! upon diassembly I discovered the slide was in upside down in the carb which meant it was half open! You can guess the rest! I was in my late teens/ early tweenties when we bought it. Fastest thing on the creek at the time! But kick starting it was a pain even then! To late to make a long story short so here's the bite. I'm 50 now. I have a KLR650 I'm working on now. soon to be together. then put the rail buggy back together. then pull the CR out and restore it but with a twist! To solve the Kick start problem and give it more Low end, I need to put an MR flywheel on it. this has been done before in the day and does work. We've already put a larger rear sprocket on it before it was parked. From 0 to 50, if you could keep the front wheel down; A 500 would have had a time catching it! What I need to know is, since I'm turning it into a backwoods bike with some low end; do I need to change the ignition points plate too? it's been so long I forgot! I live in the mountains. EVERYONE around here rides! The 650 is just to big and top heavy for this. For me anyway. The 250 is light and strong! Back in here we ride!....Since I'm new here, if I talked to much; Someone let me know. No hard feelings ever. I just like to get the whole story out! it's easier to answer that way. May God bless all, and keep on ridin!