Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:29 pm 
I've got a 1982 CR480R that has just been rebuilt and bored out. It's pretty fast but I'm in the process of setting up a race with my neighbor. Should be interesting, just wondering if anyone has run into one of these before and what the outcome was?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:15 pm 

I'm assuming you are going to drag race him. It will come down to driver weight and skill. The Raptor wieghs 400 lbs and has a 660 4-stroke vs. your 240 lb bike with 480+ 2-stroke. Unless you weigh over 250 and the other guy is Ricky Carmichael size I would think you should win.

Of course you are defending our Evo Honda honor, but no pressure here. :)

#829 The "Factory Novice"

1988 Honda CR250RJ
1983 Honda CR480
1981 Can-Am 250 MX6-B
1979 Honda CR250RZ
1979 Kawasaki KX250 A5
1978 Husky 250CR
1978 Honda CR250R
1977 Yamaha YZ400D
1977 Suzuki RM125B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:13 pm 
Our road is a little over an eighth of a mile so that's how we will be going. Not really a top speed race here just sort of for the fun of it. If I can get mine started then I think that I can take him. Awful jealous of that push button starter and all :cry: -especially with the increased compression. I am 215lbs and he is roughly 180ish. I wonder how much more HP he has if we were still stock? He has some sort of intake but nothing major. Still pretty crazy for a four wheeler though, I'd hate to meet up with that engine in a dirtbike frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:44 am 
Well the race went like this. First race, he got the jump and I reeled him in at the end of third gear and we were pretty even. Not to be outdone, he decided to do a bunch of donuts in the middle of the road attracting too much attention since he was running a straight pipe. There was a small dispute over who won so we went again and decided to go the best out of three to eliminate the "lucky run" theory. Second race I had him by two lengths since he said his clutch was screwed from all of his donuts. We waited till almost dark for the next race so there could be no excuses. We started from a different spot with no gravel in sight which was a huge advantage for me so I ended up with two wins and a tie. We usually stayed even through first and second gear until I hit third and that's when things went downhill for him. If it were a top speed race then he would have surely won since I have four gears and he has six. Does anyone know if the 83 five speed will work in the 82?