Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:02 pm 

I have posted a number of ads on elsinore swap meet and have been getting the meanest, snarkiest comments posted on my ads. Why?

Brief Bio :
My family owned an early Honda dealership from 1962 to 1992. We met all types of people but we thrived on good relationships and honesty with our customers. If you are from the Chicago area you may have remembered the Merkners' dealership in South Chicago and later in Chicago Heights Illinois. Seaway Honda or Seaway Cycles. My grandfather was "Daddio" and my dad "Ed" or "Merk". I grew up racing Bultacos and later Elsinores. I saved up parts to restore the beautiful CR250M, putting them away for many years.

Now I figured I would never build the bike, so I'd offer the parts to those who would. I met a few nice people, but most of the comments are outright MEAN. Again, why? These parts are from a "time capsule" of sorts, never before offered for sale. If you don't appreciate them, or believe what they can sell for..... do you have to call me names or post laughing faces under the name B. ULL SHIFT?
Fact is, I found a buyer for the rare original air filter, he is paying $300.00 for it and it will soon be in Australia. If that deal falls through, another person is in line to buy it for the same price.

If the price for these parts is too high for you, then don't buy them. But look at it this way : all it means is that these bikes are getting more valuable as time goes on. If you own one, why wouldn't you like that news? Same thing happened with the (car) Chevy Corvair, the one Nader said was unsafe. You could buy a nice one for a few hundred dollars in 1973. Now the same care can be $10,000.00.

So what is the complaint? I'm only telling you all that your bikes are worth more than you think they are. And I will sell my parts somewhere else.

alan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:35 am 

Probably a kid!