Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:13 pm 

Hello Everybody,

I have an unrestored but happily running 75 MT250 (9k miles) which I incidentally just got back from riding home with a snapped throttle cable- I was able to pull off the cable outer and operate by wrapping it around my finger...was kind've hairy going thru town...especially when I turned left.

But I digress.....long story short I have oil coming out of the crankcase breather. Probably not connected but it only started happening after I read that if you took off the lid of the air filter box you would have a newer faster bike. I can't believe that even at the age of 50something louder seems faster. It did- but I put it all back together.

Anyhow...I know what oil out of the breather means on a 4 stroke but not sure what it means out of a 2 stroke...it's not gushing oil but enough to leave oil spots when parked.

History-Motor doesn't appear to have been touched in it's lifetime. Haven't done much to the bike other than change tranny oil, new chain & sprockets and new o-ring in the oil tank.

If anyone has an diagnosis would love to know. Thinking it might be crankcase seals- but I'm not sure what they are and if it means the motor is on the verge of implosion or not...

Attachments:
IMG_2375.JPG
IMG_2375.JPG [ 3.38 MiB | Viewed 2307 times ]
IMG_2221.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG [ 3.08 MiB | Viewed 2307 times ]

'86 FZ600C
'94 CBR400RR (track bike)