Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:24 pm 

It was 1976, my younger brother had a new Honda XR75 & was a racer. My Mom would not buy me a dirt bike, because she saw how crazy I was on my Schwinn Stingray. I took that sucker out in the woods after school one day when nobody was home and went as fast as I could into this big pile of dirt that had a trail going up it......I woke up in the hospital with my Mom saying.."You see, this is why I can't let you have a motorbike"....I made her buy me an ass-kicking stereo instead, and got into rock & roll and pot. I turned out OK though and became a straight laced adult business owner with kids of my own...Now that I can buy my own dirt bikes - well...uh...I do. I own 5. Yehaaaaaw!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:51 am 

Good stories keep 'em comin!

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:11 am 

The year the Automatic Hoosks came out.
I raced the local hare scramble series on my 1977 RM100 and was in the lead for the overall track championship at Buckeye Raceway.
I can remember the team of Hoosks that were hot on my tail trying their best to gain points on me, they all wore "shiftless" on the front of their jerseys.
the nice thing is they were all in the open class in the same class together and one of them would surely get the overall, they didnt have unity in their quest for the overall thrack championship chosing one leader and the rest domestics to help him, in stead they all went for it.
The shop they rode for had a somewhat mean lady running the place I know this because I went there once to get parts for my Suzi and she gave me grief and no part.

So I soldiered on in my quest to win the overall on my little 100.....

Now here lies the problem, they were all now gunning for me to crash or break and every time they passed me open hoosks now on auto shift threw nothing but endless roosts of rocks dirt corn stalks pop tabs birds and anything else not tied down.........
THAT year 1977 I started to wear a chest protector after one rock from an auto rooster broke my collar bone....

Needless to say with their superb team startegy and a not so smart principal I won the overall track championship...

THIS is my favorite picture of all time, my scoring barrel lady Mrs Daffron giving me the big #1 finger as I go through, she did that 18 times for number one but had to give me a #2 once and #5 once that season.

Attachments:
buckeye.jpg
buckeye.jpg [ 83.52 KiB | Viewed 3128 times ]