Vintage Dirt Bike Q & A

Anything and everything about Vintage Dirt Bikes! After you Register, email nathan@alp-sys.com and let me know so I can activate you.
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:57 pm 

I know this topic has been brought up many times, however, I have not had any luck finding a paint supplier. Vmxracing.com carries Expert Green, but no longer offers Custom Silver Metalic. I have come across the paint code, but none of the paint suppliers I have contacted are able to come up with any formula from the code? I know the 1974 CR-125 / CR-250's are being restored on a regular basis. Does anyone know of a paint source for the silver paint used? I have had some local shops offer to "color match" it for me. The problem is they wont gaaaurentee a match. In other words, they get as close as they can and you own it. Any help with this issue would be appreciated. Thanks. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:47 am 

I had my local PPG dealer color match the silver on my '73 from an original
side panel. I think it is dead on with the original color. The paint is a
two step (base coat clear coat).

I don't know if they would hand me the paint formula, but I'm sure they
would sell me some more of the paint. If you are interested, let me know
what kind of spray equipment you plan to use and if you want the flex
additive and clear as well.

I don't remember the cost for a quart of the stuff, but I can find out.

dogger

2008 CR500R
2009 CR250R

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:40 pm 

Thanks Dogger. I might take you up on that. I more or less determined that a color match is the route I would have to go. To be honest, I am not really that fussy. But a friend of mine got his paint color matched and it is way off! I just didn't want to pay big $$$ for a color match that wasn't even close. The place I checked with locally said they could match the paint without a formula for one price, or I could have them save the formula for about $30.00 more. If your local PPG dealer didn't give you a formula my guess is they dont have it. But I could be wrong. If they do I would just as soon buy it through them. If you have the time to check with them, let me know. I would want to use the same base coat / clear + primer, sealer, activator, flex agent etc. This will just be practice for my race bike. If it goes well I may attempt it on my next restoration.
On a side note, your restoration on your 79 CR-250 is as perfect as I have seen. :D You really have set the bar pretty high. Nice job.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:50 am 

I will check with PPG this week and let you know.

Thanks for the "good word" on the '79. I am real pleased with the way it turned out.

I'm shifting focus from vintage to almost modern for the time being. I just started
a restoration on a 1993 CR250, only this one will be raced. Actually, it's more of a
scratch build. Most of the donor bikes for sale are junk (even the frame on my '93
is junk - metal fatgue), so I bought a new frame from Honda and am assembling the
motor from new Honda and aftermarket parts. It will be a fairly expensive build, but
the final product won't be a clap trap of a race bike.

Everyone will be relieved to hear I won't be posting progress pictures of this one, it
would be a violation of the spirit of this site. :D

dogger

2008 CR500R
2009 CR250R

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:19 pm 

Thanks dogger. Just let me know what you find out. Just curious, you mentioned metal fatigue to your frame. I am assuming that is more visable and prevalent on an aluminum frame bike. Should that be a concern of those restoring and or racing vintage steel framed bikes? Is it something visable to the eye, or did you have the frame magnafluxed, x-rayed, etc.? You got me worried about my 35 year old CR-125 & CR-250 race bikes! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:58 pm 

Metal fatigue per se is not as big an issue with vintage bikes. Most vintage bikes
haven't been jumped 40' through the air or cased a triple (How many vintage bikes
have you seen on the big track at Lake Elsinore?).

I would still test the weld integrity at the head pipe, footpeg mounts, shock brackets
and engine mounts on your Elsies. Also, check the bottom frame rails. This is a prime
area for rust and impact damage.

A home magnaflux tester is available from ATS. http://www.aircraft-tool.com The kit
list for less than $70. I use and recommend it to everyone for simple peace of mind.

This is all about risk management, kind of like buying the best helmet you can afford.

dogger

2008 CR500R
2009 CR250R